The first thing is to take a look at our glass 101.
Get to know the terms, techniques, and tools found in glass
One can get started for a few hundred dollars and it will be a bit ghetto. Or one can invest a few thousand dollars for a nice setup.
Here is a beginners list we feel good about. Some things can be forgotten, but this is a solid list.
- Go with a national. If you ever want to upgrade you will have a super universal hand torch. It is an ultimate torch and I wish I knew how great it was 13 years ago. Get a few tips, but go with a 12 hole to start with.
- A stand for the torch is also a good idea.
- Propane Tank and Regulator
- Oxygen Tank and Regulator (Get a K tank or even bigger and go with a T tank)
- Propane and Oxy hose
- Hose Clamps
- Exhaust Fan
- Table with a metal top
- A slab of graphite or tile. We love graphite as it will last for a long time if you take care of it.
- Clear glass rod and tubing
- Colored glass rod
- Kiln (while many people will try to get by without one, it is not recommended) You can not fully anneal your glass without one, therefore you would make a shitty product.
- Maybe a graphite hand paddle.